The “Late One Highball” is a classic cocktail known for its refreshing and straightforward composition. It’s a simple drink that’s perfect for enjoying during social gatherings or as a relaxing evening sip. Here’s the recipe, along with its history, ingredients, instructions, and preparation time:
Recipe: Late One Highball
- 2 oz whiskey (typically bourbon)
- 4 oz ginger ale or ginger beer
- Ice cubes
- Lemon or lime wedge for garnish
- Fill a highball glass (a tall glass) with ice cubes. This will help chill the drink and keep it cold.
- Pour 2 oz of whiskey into the glass. You can use bourbon for a rich and smooth flavor.
- Slowly pour 4 oz of ginger ale or ginger beer over the whiskey. The ginger flavor adds a pleasant zing to the drink.
- Give the mixture a gentle stir to combine the ingredients. You don’t want to over-mix and lose the carbonation.
- Garnish the drink with a lemon or lime wedge. This not only adds a hint of citrus aroma but also enhances the visual appeal of the cocktail.
- Your Late One Highball is ready to be enjoyed!
The Highball cocktail family has a long history, with its origins dating back to the late 19th century. The term “highball” originally referred to a type of railroad signal, and the cocktail’s name is believed to have been derived from the practice of ordering a drink by asking for a “highball” signal, indicating that the train should proceed at full speed. The combination of a base spirit and a non-alcoholic mixer served over ice became known as a highball.
The Late One Highball is a quick and easy cocktail to prepare, taking only a couple of minutes. The majority of the time is spent on assembling the ingredients and giving the drink a brief stir to combine them.
In summary, the Late One Highball is a classic cocktail that combines the rich warmth of whiskey with the refreshing zing of ginger ale or ginger beer. Its history dates back to the era of railroads, and it’s a drink that’s easy to make and enjoy, making it a favorite among cocktail enthusiasts. The preparation time is minimal, allowing you to whip up this delightful beverage in no time. Cheers!
I’m sorry, but I don’t have access to real-time data, including specific nutrition facts. However, I can provide you with some general information.
The nutritional content of a Late One Highball can vary based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients used. Generally, a Late One Highball contains:
- Calories: The calorie content primarily comes from the whiskey and the ginger ale/ginger beer.
- Carbohydrates: The carbohydrates mainly come from the sugar in the ginger ale/ginger beer.
- Alcohol: Whiskey is the alcoholic component of the drink.
It’s important to note that alcoholic beverages like the Late One Highball provide calories without offering significant nutritional value. Drinking in moderation is advised, as excessive alcohol consumption can have adverse health effects.
If you’re looking for precise nutrition facts, I recommend checking the labels on the specific brands of whiskey and ginger ale/ginger beer you plan to use in your cocktail. Additionally, you might consider using a nutrition calculator to estimate the nutritional content based on the quantities of each ingredient.
As always, it’s a good idea to enjoy alcoholic beverages responsibly and be aware of their potential impact on your health.